With all the midterms before the holidays, I found myself in the mood to compile a brief quiz to assess the knowledge (or lack thereof) of the bodybuilding and fitness enthusiasts out there. It seemed fitting to make the subject matter of the quiz nothing more than human health, exercise and nutrition.
Without further ado, I’ll let you warm up that noggin of yours because I don’t want anybody getting hurt during this (not so) grueling brain workout.
Muscle Building, Fitness and Nutrition Quiz
Section A. True/False
1 Point for each correct answer.
- The principle ion used in skeletal muscle contraction is sodium (Na+)
- Denatured protein (such as a cooked egg) is rendered biologically inactive
- Carbohydrates are an essential macronutrient in the human diet
- The shoulder joint is the most versatile joint in the human body
- Sucrose (table sugar) is a monosachharide (i.e. consists of one sugar monomer)
- Arteries return deoxygenated blood from the body back to the heart
- The largest muscle in the human body is the gluteus maximus
- At rest, your body will burn more calories in a hot environment like Phoenix, AZ versus a cold one such as Anchorage, AK
- Anaerobic exercise induces metabolic pathways in muscles that don’t use oxygen
- Cholesterol is a steroid hormone
Section B. Fill-in-the-blank
1 point for each correct word placement.
- When squatting, the movement lowering the hips is the ____(a)______ contraction and the raising of the hips is the ______(b)_____ contraction.
- There is no physiological basis to ____(c)______ your muscles, they will either hypertrophy or _____(d)______.
- Starchy carbohydrates are termed _____(e)______ due to their structure being extensively _____(f)______.
- Research has shown that certain _____(g)______ are more than just storage molecules, and that they secrete _____(h)______such as the hormone leptin.
- Someone who drinks ____(i)_______ on a daily basis will likely develop an increased ______(j)_____ to the alkaloid caffeine.
Section C. Multiple Choice
2 points for each correct choice.
1. Which of the following is not a micronutrient?
2. The “burning” sensation you feel in your muscles after intense exertion is due to intracellular buildup of which of the following by-products?
a. Pyruvic acid
b. Glutamic acid
c. Lactic acid
d. Ascorbic acid
3. In a healthy individual, what would the pancreas secrete when blood sugar is low (hypoglycemia)?
4. Branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs) are becoming increasingly popular in sports supplementation, which of the following is not a BCAA?
5. Short, high-intensity bursts of power rely mostly on which type of muscle fiber?
a. Type I
b. Type IIb
c. Type IIa
6. On a per-molecule basis, which of the following has the most potential for ATP production (i.e. cellular energy)?
b. A triglyceride
d. None of the above
7. Which of the following hormones serve to increase muscle catabolism (breakdown)?
a. Triiodothyronine (T3)
d. Luteinizing Hormone
8. Of the following, which is the most bio-available source of protein?
a. Egg white (albumin)
b. Chicken breast
9. The posterior chain is a set of muscles comprised, in part, by all the following except?
10. A “bro” is someone who likely does which of the following in the gym?
a. Curls in the squat rack
b. Chest and arm workouts at least 3 times per week
c. Does 30 minutes of ab exercises after every workout
d. Texting between sets
e. Drinks “dat der Cell Tech” during their workout
f. All of the above are likely signs of a “bro” (hint: this is the answer)
After you have completed the sections, use the answer key and scale below to figure out where you are on the spectrum of meatheadness.
Your Total Score: Meathead or Gym Genius?
- 0-5pts: You are the reason for the term “meathead.”
- 6-10pts: All show and no go, bro.
- 11-15pts: You have much to learn, young padawan.
- 16-20pts: Being mediocre sucks, lucky for you this isn’t even mediocre.
- 21-25pts: Let me guess, “certified personal trainer” with formal education in economics?
- 26-30pts: Not bad…if you didn’t use Google.
- 31-35pts: PubMed will only get you so far.
- 36-40pts: Welcome to the club, Dr. Really-ripped-abs.
FINISH THE QUIZ FIRST YOU CHEATER :)
Section A (1pt each)
- F - The ion is calcium (Ca2+).
- T - Denaturing a protein alters its 3D structure and inactivates it.
- F - Carbohydrates can be created via various metabolic pathways so theoretically don’t need dietary carbohydrates.
- T - Being a ball-in-socket joint allows for an exceptional range of motion.
- F - Sucrose is a disaccharide, composed of glucose and fructose.
- F - Veins do this, not arteries.
- T - Yep, your booty is the biggest muscle.
- F - In very cold temperatures, it takes make energy to keep your body warm than it would to cool it down in a hot environment.
- T - Anaerobic = without oxygen.
- T - Cholesterol is the parent hormone of steroid synthesis in humans.
Section B (1pt per letter):
Section C (2pts each):
How well did you do? Please post your results in the comments section below.