- Main GoalBuild Muscle
- Workout TypeSingle Muscle Group
- Training LevelBeginner
- Program Duration8 weeks
- Days Per Week1
- Time Per Workout30-45 minutes
- Equipment RequiredBarbell, Bodyweight, Dumbbells, EZ Bar
- Target Gender Male & Female
- Recommended Supps
- Workout PDF Download Workout
You want big arms! I don't care who you are, or where you come from. I don't care if you're a natural bodybuilder, beach bum, or basketball star - I know for a fact that you want arms that are eye-popping. My titanic triceps workout will help you carve out big arms as quickly as possible.
I want you to understand something first. Most lifters seeking big guns make a serious mistake. They focus on training biceps. They do set after set after set of curls, thinking that this is the true path to massive arms. They are wrong! Here's why...the triceps muscle accounts for 2/3rds of your arm's size. Stated another way, your triceps are TWICE as big as your biceps.
If you want big arms, hammer your triceps!
My triceps are one of my best body parts. More then that, my arms are one of my best bodyparts. For a natural lifter, I have some of the biggest arms you will see on a small bone structure. My arms are 19+ inches when I'm carrying a little extra fat and training for powerlifting, and around 17.5 inches when I'm much leaner.
So here's my point...my arms are huge because my triceps are huge. I have very poor biceps. My biceps have no peak, and are from from massive. But when I walk into the room, my triceps are so large that no one notices my biceps. But enough about me. Let's get on to the basics of this triceps workout.
The triceps muscle accounts for 2/3rds of your arm's size. Stated another way, your triceps are TWICE as big as your biceps. If you want big arms, hammer your triceps!
Titanic Triceps - The Basics
To build titanic triceps, you must:
- Press! To build massive triceps, you must be using staple pressing movements on a weekly basis. These movements include the barbell bench press, seated overhead press (or one of many overhead pressing variations), close grip bench press, incline bench press, dumbbell bench press, and more. At minimum you need to be performing the barbell bench press, close grip bench press and some form of overhead press.
- Progress! To build monster triceps, you must (MUST!) try for more reps on every set. There are never any exceptions to this rule. You are not allowed off days, and you're not allowed to use a half-hearted effort because you're tired, stressed or hungry.
- More Weight! I will be providing you with rep ranges and rep goals for each exercise. When you hit those goals, add weight to the bar. No exceptions. The fastest way to big triceps is to perform the heaviest possible weight with the most reps.
- No Wimpy Exercises! Triceps workouts are often abused. So many young trainees fall into the same trap. They read Pro Bodybuilder X's tricep blasting workout in a magazine, and believe that they need to hit their triceps with every fancy and unique exercise under the sun. Wrong! You are not on steroids, and most likely you do not have good genetics. So stop doing wimpy exercises and stick to the basics. What is a wimpy tricep exercise? Anything that requires you to use light weight...dumbbell kickbacks, one arm cable extensions, etc. It's not that these exercises are bad, it's just that there are better growth-inducing exercises to spend your time on.
What follows is my titanic tricep builder workout. It is split up into 3 body parts: triceps, chest and shoulders. For each body part, I list "must have" exercises, and good secondary exercises. Which bodybuilding full body or split routine you use is up to you. The important thing is to fit the given exercises into that program.
For each exercise, I list sets and reps. After that set and rep total, you will find a number in brackets as such:
- Close Grip Bench Press - 3 sets x 5-10 reps. (25)
The bracketed number is your target. When you hit this target - or can perform a total of 25 reps for all 3 sets - add weight next time you hit the gym. So if your 3 sets of close grip bench presses look like this...
- Set 1 - 135 pounds x 10 reps
- Set 2 - 135 pounds x 8 reps
- Set 3 - 135 pounds x 8 reps
...you have performed 26 total reps. Because you have hit your target of 25 or more reps, add weight to the bar the next time you perform this exercise. If you can do more then 10 reps per set, have at it! If on one set, you do fewer then 5 reps, no big deal! A rep range isn't anything to fret over. A rep range is a guideline.
Lastly, there is no need to train to failure. Do as many reps as you can, and stop 1 rep shy of failure when possible. Knowing when you are close to failure is an art form. It may take some time for you to understand when you're close to failure for any given exercise.
Titanic Triceps - The Workout
Note: Seated barbell press behind the neck can be substituted with another standing/seated barbell pressing movement as the "must have" exercise on shoulder day.
|"Must Have" Shoulders Exercises|
|Seated Barbell Press Behind Neck||3||5-10||(25)|
|Secondary shoulders Exercises|
|Seated Arnold Press||3||5-10||(25)|
|Seated Dumbbell Press||3||5-10||(25)|
|Standing Dumbbell Press||3||5-10||(25)|
|"Must Have" Chest Exercises|
|Barbell Bench Press||3||5-10||(25)|
|Secondary Chest Exercises|
|Chest Dip (Weighted, if possible)||3||5-10||(25)|
|Incline Bench Press||3||5-10||(25)|
|Floor Bench Press||3||5-10||(25)|
|Dumbbell Bench Press||3||5-10||(25)|
|Incline Dumbbell Bench Press||3||5-10||(25)|
|"Must Have" Triceps Exercises|
|Close Grip Bench Press||3||5-10||(25)|
|Secondary Triceps Exercises|
|Tricep Dips (Weighted, if possible)||3||5-10||(25)|
|EZ Bar Skullcrusher||3||5-10||(25)|
|Two Arm Seated Dumbbell Extension||3||5-10||(25)|