- Main GoalIncrease Strength
- Workout TypeSingle Muscle Group
- Training LevelIntermediate
- Program Duration6 weeks
- Days Per Week2
- Time Per Workout15-30 minutes
- Equipment RequiredBarbell, Dumbbells
- Target Gender Male & Female
- Workout PDF Download Workout
This routine is adapted from the book Powerlifting Basics, Texas Style by Paul Kelso. For more information on Paul Kelso and his training philosophies, please visit the the provided link.
You will be training the bench press twice per week. Split your training days so that you maximize rest between workouts.
Bench Shrugs - Bench shrugs are performed by raising and lowering the weight on the bar without the use of the arms. To push up, simultaneously spread your lats apart, roll your shoulders forward and contract your chest muscles.
Pausing - On every bench press motion, for the first rep or two slowly lower the weight and pause with it on your chest for 3 seconds. Then explode the weight up, accelerating as you push.
|Dumbbell Bench Press *||3||6-8|
|Close Grip Bench Press **||2||8|
|Bench Shrug ***||2||10 to 6|
* Dumbbell Bench Press - Perform 2 lighter warm-up sets prior to your 3 heavy working sets.
** Close Grip Bench Press - Thumbs should be about at your outer chest.
*** Bench Shrug - Start with your 10RM weight, and slowly build up in weight over the course of a couple months while reducing your total reps to 6.
|Wide Grip Bench Press *||3-4||8-10|
|High Seated Incline Bench Press OR Dips||3-4||8-10|
* Wide Grip Bench Press - Perform this lift with a half finger to an additional finger's width. Start with 90% of your normal bench weight. After several weeks add an additional finger's width to this lift.