- Main GoalBuild Muscle
- Workout TypeSingle Muscle Group
- Training LevelBeginner
- Program Duration10 weeks
- Days Per Week1
- Time Per Workout60-90 minutes
- Equipment RequiredBarbell, Dumbbells, Machines
- Target Gender Male & Female
- Workout PDF Download Workout
This is a workout for late beginners and intermediate lifters designed to help pack on additional chest muscle mass while also bringing up your bench press strength. You will be alternating between volume rep weeks and heavy singles.
- Week 1 - 8 sets x 8 reps @ 55% of current one rep max
- Week 2 - 8 singles @ 87.5% of current one rep max
- Week 3 - 7 sets x 7 sets @ 62.5% of current one rep max
- Week 4 - 7 singles @ 90% of current one rep max
- Week 5 - 6 sets x 6 reps @ 70% of current one rep max
- Week 6 - 6 singles @ 92.5% of current one rep max
- Week 7 - 5 sets x 5 reps @ 77.5% of current one rep max
- Week 8 - 5 singles @ 95% of current one rep max
- Week 9 - 4 sets x 4 reps @ 85% of current one rep max
- Week 10 - Max attempt
How to perform your max attempt
Perform your warmup sets, then move on to singles as follows:
- 85% of current one rep max for a single
- 92.5% of current one rep max for a single
- 102.5% of current one rep max for a single
If you are able to hit 102.5%, try another max attempt at 105% of your current one rep max. If successful, try a third and final attempt with 107.5%.
Alternate between close grip benches and dumbbell benches every other week. Do the same for incline dumbbell and barbell bench presses.
Add weight to flyes/pec dec, skullcrushers, and trice extensions when possible.
After week 10, take a deload or light week before started the cycle over again.
On training days when you are performing singles, rest at least 2 minutes between each set. On rep work training days, rest 1.5 to 2 minutes between sets.
|Chest Size & Bench Press Workout|
|10 Week Cycle|
|Bench Press (For sets & reps, see chart above)|
|Close Grip Bench Press or Dumbbell Bench Press||3||8-12|
|Incline Dumbbell Bench Press or Incline Bench Press||3||8-12|
|Dumbbell Flyes or Pec Dec||3-5||10-15|
|Cable Tricep Extensions||3-5||10-12|