- 2 apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 tbs coconut oil (or butter)
- ¼ to ½ cup xylitol (or coconut sugar)*
- ½ tbs ground cinnamon
- 1 tbs cornstarch
- ½ package frozen puff pastery sheets, thawed
- ¼ cup egg whites
- toppings, optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Combine xylitol, cinnamon and cornstarch in a bowl. Set aside.
- Melt coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add in apples and mix well.
- Allow to cook for 3-4 minutes. Add dry ingredients into apple mixture and mix until all apples are coated.
- Allow to cook until sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Unfold pastry sheets and cut into four squares.
- Spoon apples into center of each pastry sheet. Fold over from corner to corner, creating a triangle shape.
- Press edges down with a fork to seal in apples.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the top of each turnover with the egg whites and sprinkle with additional xylitol, if using.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden.
- Allow to cool slightly before enjoying!
*Use the larger quantity of xylitol if you prefer your turnovers on the sweeter side.
*These turnovers are very big! Feel free to create 8 smaller ones instead. Please note that the baking time for 8 turnovers should be adjusted to around 12 minutes.
*Pair with your favorite protein shake to up the protein content for a perfect postworkout or morning snack!
Makes 4 turnovers. 1 Serving = 1 turnover