- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeWarmup
- Equipment RequiredBodyweight
- Force TypeDynamic Stretching
- Experience LevelBeginner
- Secondary Muscles
Chest, Glutes, Hamstrings, Quads, Shoulders
World's Greatest Stretch Overview
The world’s greatest stretch is a dynamic stretching exercise that targets nearly every muscle in the body (hence why it’s called the world’s greatest stretch).
This drill can, and should, be incorporated to nearly every warm up routine prior to your workout sessions.
World's Greatest Stretch Instructions
- Stand in an upright position with your feet together and arms at your sides.
- Step forward into a deep lunge pattern with the back leg extended and place both palms flat on the floor near the inside of your instep. Your elbow will be inside of your knee.
- Once your hands are in place on the floor, pyramid your hips up towards the ceiling while keeping your finger tips in contact with the floor. You should feel a large stretch in the hamstring of the front leg.
- Drop the hips back to the deep lunge position and ensure the back leg is straight by flexing the quad.
- With your hands flat on the floor, exhale, rotate your torso, and reach toward the ceiling with the arm closest to your instep.
- Follow your hand with your eyes as you rotate.
- Rotate back to the starting position and stand upright again.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions on each side.
World's Greatest Stretch Tips
- As your rotate and reach towards the ceiling, make sure your head and eyes follow your hand.
- The front shin needs to be vertical so ensure that you step forward far enough.
- Don’t use momentum during the rotation, control the movement actively using your musculature.