- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredOther
- Force TypePush
- Experience LevelAdvanced
- Secondary Muscles
Calves, Glutes, Hamstrings
Target Muscle Group
Weighted Sissy Squat Instructions
- The sissy squat is one of the best way to isolate the quads. Set up for the weighted sissy squat by choosing a weight plate and standing with your feet shoulder width apart next to a smith machine or something you can hold onto for support.
- Stand with a slight bend in your knees. Hold the weight plate with one arm across your chest and use to other to hold on to your support.
- Begin by bending at the knees and lowering your body backward while raising your heels off the ground. You can use some type of block or support to keep your heels from touching the ground.
- Squat in this fashion as low as you can go while maintaining your balance.
- Push back up though the balls of your feet to the starting position.
- Repeat this movement for desired reps.
- Form a straight line with your body (from your neck to your knees) by leaning back at the start of the exercise. Maintaining this line throughout the movement will isolate the quads very effectively.
- Use a block or step that is 2 to 4 inches high to position your heels on while keeping your toes on the floor.
- Dumbbells can also be used to make this exercise challenging.