Thoracic Extension on Foam Roller Overview
The thoracic extension on foam roller drill is a form of dynamic stretching that warms up the muscles of the upper back.
Dynamic stretching is critical prior to performing your workouts as it allows you to activate your central nervous system and engage the muscle groups you’ll use later in your workout. Incorporating them into your warm up routine will help you get better results and avoid injury.
Thoracic Extension on Foam Roller Instructions
- Setup in a supine position with a foam roller underneath your upper back.
- Place your hands behind your head and exhale as you extend your upper back over the roller.
- Once you run out of range of motion in the thoracic spine, return to the starting position.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
Thoracic Extension on Foam Roller Tips
- Keep some tension through the abs and ensure the lumbar spine does not extend. The goal is movement through the upper back alone.
- Keep the head supported and don’t allow the neck fall backwards as this will place stress upon the cervical spine.
- Move the foam roller slightly up or down the thoracic spine to mobilize different segments with each extension. Don’t stick to just a single segment.
- Keep the movement dynamic, don’t just hang out in end range extension or flexion.