- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredExercise Ball
- Force TypePush
- Experience LevelIntermediate
- Secondary Muscles
Target Muscle Group
Exercise Ball Barbell Press Instructions
- Load a barbell with the appropriate weight. Ideally, you can un-rack the weight from a squat rack or have a training partner hand you the bar.
- Sit down on the center of an exercise ball and tighten your core. Keep your feet flat on the floor and keep your back straight.
- Hold the bar with an overhand grip (palms facing forward) with your hands just beyond shoulder width.
- Push the bar upward until your arms are almost fully extended above your head with a slight bend in your elbows. This is the starting position.
- Slowly begin lowering the bar to your upper chest - almost touching your collarbone.
- Pause, and then begin pushing the bar back up to the starting position.
- Repeat for desired reps.
- Keep your back straight throughout the movement. Don't let it arc too much when pressing the weight.
- Use slow and controlled movement, both when pressing and when lowering the weight.
- Use a full range of motion by lowering the bar as far as possible, and raising all the way up without locking your elbows out at the top of the movement.
- Don't "rest" with the weight on your chest during the set!
- Keep your core tight throughout the movement. Doing this will ensure stability and benefit your abdominal muscles and core strength greatly.