- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredBarbell
- Force TypePush
- Experience LevelBeginner
- Secondary Muscles
Target Muscle Group
Standing Barbell Calf Raise Instructions
- Set up for the standing barbell calf raise by getting a block or step and placing it in front of you.
- Grasp a barbell and place it across the back of your shoulders. Make sure the bar sits across the muscles in your upper back, not your neck.
- Stand up on the block with the balls of your feet on the edge.
- Keeping your balance, raise your heels off the floor.
- Squeeze the calves, and then slowly lower your heals back down as far as possible without letting them touch the floor.
- Repeat for desired reps.
Calf Raise Tips:
- Keep the balls of your feet on the edge of the step. Don't let your feet come forward as this makes the exercise less challenging.
- Keep the rep timing slow and controlled - don't "bounce".
- To help keep your balance, keep your eyes facing forward at all times.