Chest, Glutes, Hamstrings, Shoulders, Upper Back
Squat to Stand w/ T-Spine Rotation Overview
Squat to Stand w/ T-Spine Rotation Instructions
- In an upright position, reach down and grab your toes.
- Pull up on your toes to drop your hips into a deep squat.
- Exhale while dropping your hips and pull your chest tall in the bottom.
- Release one hand and reach towards the ceiling while rotating your upper back and following your hand with your eyes.
- Rotate back down to the starting position and repeat with the other arm before returning to bottom position of the squat.
- Stand back up while still holding onto your toes and straighten the legs while looking at your shoelaces.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions
Squat to Stand w/ T-Spine Rotation Tips
- Experiment with gently rolling the head clockwise and counterclockwise in the bottom position to help to loosen the neck.
- Try to think about “showing off the logo” on your shirt in the bottom position. If you feel any tension or pain in your low back then consider working through some other drills such as deadbugs and t-spine extension on a foam roller.
- When you rotate, think about leading with the thumb up to externally rotate the shoulder.
- Keep the hips low and don’t allow the torso to lean forward as you rotate up.