- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredMachine
- Force TypePush
- Experience LevelIntermediate
- Secondary Muscles
Calves, Glutes, Hamstrings
Target Muscle Group
Smith Machine Zercher Squat Instructions
- Set up for the smith machine Zercher squat by setting the bar on a smith machine to somewhere between chest height and waist height. Now load the weight you want to use.
- Stand with your arms under the bar and your legs around shoulder-width apart.
- Lock your hands together and rest the bar in between your forearms and upper arms.
- Keeping your back straight and eyes facing forward push through your heels and take the weight off the rack.
- With your back straight and your eyes facing forward, slowly squat down until your thighs are parallel to the floor.
- Push up through the heels and raise the bar back to the starting position.
- Repeat for desired reps.
- Start with a light weight as there is a lot of pressure being applied to your arms when lifting the bar.
- It's important that you keep a straight back when you squat. You can ensure your back is straight by keeping your eyes facing forward, chest out, and shoulder blades back. Keep your core muscles engaged throughout the movement to help hold your back in place.
- Always push up through your heels. Curling up your toes can help you get the technique right.
- When you squat down your hips should be dropping straight down, not coming forward.
- Using squats to their full potential requires squatting down at least until your thighs are around parallel to the floor.
- Don't point your knees in or out when you're lowering or pushing the weight. This puts unnecessary strain on the knee joints.
- Don't look down. As soon as you look down your back rounds, simple as that.