Calves, Glutes, Hamstrings
Smith Machine Zercher Squat Instructions
- Set up for the smith machine zercher squat by setting the bar on a smith machine to somewhere between chest height and waist height. Now load the weight you want to use.
- Stand with your arms under the bar with your legs around shoulder width apart.
- Lock your hands together and rest the bar in between your forearms and upper arms.
- Keeping your back straight and eyes facing forward push through your heals and take the weight off the rack.
- Keeping your eyes facing forward with a straight back, slowly squat down until your thighs are parallel to the floor.
- Pushing up through the heels, raise the the bar back to the starting position.
- Repeat for desired reps.
- Start with a light weight as there is a lot of pressure being applied to your arms when lifting the bar.
- It's crucially important that you keep a straight back when you squat! You can ensure your back is straight by keeping eyes facing forward, chest out, shoulder blades back, and back arched. Keep your core muscles tensed throughout the movement to help hold your back in place.
- Always push up through your heels. Curling up your toes can help you get the technique right.
- When you squat down your hips should be dropping straight down, not coming forward.
- Using squats to their full potential requires squatting down at least until your thighs are around parallel to the floor.
- Don't point your knees in or out when you're lowering or pushing the weight. This puts unnecessary strain on the knee joints.
- Don't look down. As soon as you look down your back rounds, simple as that.