Smith Machine Toe Raise Instructions
- The smith machine toe raise works the Tabailis muscle which is located at the front of your lower leg (opposite the calf). Set up by setting the smith machine bar to shoulder height and adding the weight you want to use.
- Grab a step or calf raise block and place it under the bar.
- Stand on the block so that your heels are on the front edge and the rest of your feet are hanging off the end.
- Grasp the bar with a wide grip and position it across the back of your shoulders (not on your neck).
- Take the weight of the stack and allow your toes to drop down as far as possible. This is the starting position for the exercise.
- Slowly raise your toes up as far as possible, pause, and then slowly lower them back down.
- Repeat for desired reps.
- The Tabailis muscle is very small and doesn't require much weight to get a workout.
- Keep the emphasis on stretch and contraction, and hold the toes up for a count of 2 at the top of the movement.