- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredMachine
- Force TypePush
- Experience LevelBeginner
- Secondary Muscles
Smith Machine Toe Raise Instructions
The smith machine toe raise works the Tibialis muscle which is located at the front of your lower leg (opposite the calf).
- Set up by setting the smith machine bar to shoulder height and adding the weight you want to use.
- Grab a step or calf raise block and place it under the bar.
- Stand on the block so that your heels are on the front edge and the rest of your feet are hanging off the end.
- Grasp the bar with a wide grip and position it across the back of your shoulders (not on your neck).
- Take the weight of the stack and allow your toes to drop down as far as possible. This is the starting position for the exercise.
- Slowly raise your toes up as far as possible, pause, and then slowly lower them back down.
- Repeat for desired reps.
- The Tibialis muscle is very small and doesn't require much weight to get a workout.
- Keep the emphasis on stretch and contraction, and hold the toes up for a count of 2 at the top of the movement.