Calves, Glutes, Hamstrings, Lower Back
Smith Machine Squat To Bench Instructions
- Set up for the smith machine squat to bench by setting the bar to around shoulder height and loading the weight you want to use on a smith machine.
- Position a flat bench or some type of raised platform just behind your feet in the smith machine.
- Stand under the bar with your legs around shoulder width apart.
- Grasp the bar with a wide grip and position the center of the bar on top of the muscles on your back. The bar should not sit on your neck!
- Keeping your back straight and eyes facing forwards and take the weight off the rack. Take a slight step forward.
- Keeping your eyes facing forwards with a straight back, slowly squat down until your thighs are parallel to the floor and your buttocks touches the bench. Do not rest on the bench.
- Pushing up through the heels, raise the the bar back to the starting position.
- Repeat for desired reps.
- It's crucially important that you keep a straight back when you squat! You can ensure your back is straight by keeping eyes facing forward, chest out, shoulder blades back, and back arched. Keep your core muscles tensed throughout the movement to help hold your back in place.
- Always push up through your heels. Curling up your toes can help you get the technique right.
- When you squat down your hips should be dropping straight down, not coming forward.
- Don't point your knees in or out when you're lowering or pushing the weight. This puts unnecessary strain on the knee joints.
- Don't look down. As soon as you look down your back rounds, simple as that.