Smith Machine Seated Calf Raise Instructions
- Set up for the smith machine seated calf raise by placing a flat bench in the smith machine and putting a step or calf Block or step under the bar.
- Lower the bar and add the weight you want to use.
- Sit on the end of the bench with your feet and knees together and balls of your feet on the edge of the block.
- Take the bar off the rack and rest it on your thighs.
- Allow your heels to drop as far as possible without touching the floor. This is the starting position.
- Execute the movement by raising your heels up as far as possible.
- Squeeze the calf muscles, and then slowly lower your heals back to the starting position.
- Repeat for desired reps.
- This exercise is a great alternative to the seated calf raise machine.
- Make sure the balls of your feet are on the edge of the block/step. Don't let them come forward as this makes the exercise less challenging.
- Keep the rep timing slow and controlled, lowering the weight slowly.
- Pause at the top of the movement (heels up) for a count of 2-3 to add intensity.