- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredBodyweight
- Force TypePull
- Experience LevelBeginner
- Secondary Muscles
Target Muscle Group
Inverted Row Instructions
- The inverted row is a good exercise for building depth in your upper back. Grab a flat bench and place it length ways in front of the smith machine.
- Adjust the height of the smith machine bar so that it's around 4ft off the floor.
- Position yourself with your heels on the bench and hands grasping the smith machine bar with a slightly wider than shoulder width grip.
- Straighten your body out. This is the starting position.
- Keeping your body straight, pull your upper body up to the bar.
- Pause, and then lower yourself back to the start position.
- Repeat for desired reps.
- Position yourself so that when you pull up, the bar touches your middle chest. The bar should not be any higher/lower than that.
- Keep your body straight, and don't let your mid section sag in the middle.
- To increase the difficulty add some weight plates on top of your body!