- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredBarbell
- Force TypePush
- Experience LevelBeginner
- Secondary Muscles
Target Muscle Group
Seated Barbell Calf Raise Instructions
- For this exercise you'll need a barbell, a flat bench or seat and a block or step. To set up, place the block around 30 inches from the end of a flat bench.
- Grasp a barbell and sit down on the end of the bench with the barbell on your thighs just behind your knees.
- Place the balls of your feet up on the block and allow your heels to drop as far as possible without hitting the floor. This is the starting position.
- Slowly raise your heels up as far as possible, and then squeeze the calf muscles at the top of the movement.
- Then slowly lower your heels back to the starting position and repeat for desired reps.
Seated Barbell Calf Raise Tips
- This is a very useful exercise if you don't have access to a seated calf raise machine.
- Use a full range of motion by allowing your heels to drop as far as possible and raise as high as possible.
- Keep the rep timing slow and controlled.
- The balls of your feet should be on the end of the block - moving them forward makes the exercise easier.