- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredBarbell
- Force TypePull
- Experience LevelIntermediate
- Secondary Muscles
Biceps, Lats, Shoulders
Target Muscle Group
Reverse Grip Bent Over Row Instructions
- Grab a barbell, load some weight on, and place the barbell down in front of you.
- Stand with your feet at around shoulder width, bend at the knees, squat down to grip the bar with a reverse grip (thumbs at the top of the bar) and your hands wider than shoulder width apart.
- Keeping your back straight, stand straight up so you're holding the bar in front of you against your waist. T
- o get into the starting position bend you knees slightly, and while keeping your back straight let the barbell slide down your thighs until it drops just below knee level. This is the stance that should not change throughout the set.
- Now pull the bar up to just below your chest.
- Squeeze your shoulder blades together at the top of the movement.
- Then slowly lower the bar back to the starting position. Repeat for desired reps.
- Pause at the top of the exercise and squeeze your shoulder blades together.
- Don't let the weight drop down quickly - keep it slow.
- Keep your back straight throughout the entire set.
- Keep your head up and your eyes looking forward throughout the whole movement.
- The bent over row can cause back injuries, so make sure your technique is perfected before loading on the weight.