- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredBodyweight
- Force TypePush
- Experience LevelBeginner
- Secondary Muscles
One-Leg Floor Calf Raise Instructions
The one-leg floor calf raise is the simplest calf exercise you can do, and no equipment is required.
- Stand with your feet around shoulder width apart close to something you can hold onto for balance (if needed).
- Hook your right ankle around the back of your left ankle.
- Lift your heel slightly off the floor. This is the starting position for the exercise.
- Slowly raise your heel up as far as possible.
- Pause and squeeze the calf muscle, and then lower back down to the starting position. Don't let your heel rest on the floor!
- Repeat for desired reps, and then repeat on the right leg.
One-Leg Floor Calf Raise Tips
- As a general rule, always work the weakest side of the body first. For most people, this will be the left.
- Pause and squeeze for a count of 1-2 at the top of the movement for added intensity.
- Don't rest at the bottom of the movement by pausing.