- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredBodyweight
- Force TypePush
- Experience LevelBeginner
- Secondary Muscles
Target Muscle Group
One-Leg Donkey Calf Raise Instructions
- Set up for the one-leg donkey calf raise by setting a calf raise block or step in front of something stable to hang on to.
- Stand on the block with the balls of your feet on the edge.
- Hook your right ankle around the back of your left ankle.
- Bend over and hold onto something stable such as an incline bench. For added weight you can have someone sitting on your back.
- Slowly let your heel drop as far as possible. This is the starting position for the movement.
- Raise your heel slowly until you're pushing it as high as possible.
- Pause and squeeze the calf muscle, and then slowly lower back to the starting position.
- Repeat for desired reps, and then repeat for your right leg.
One-Leg Donkey Calf Raise Tips
- Ideally, donkey calf raises are performed with someone sitting on your buttocks/lower back. You may find your own body weight is not very challenging.
- Keep the rep timing slow and control the weight.
- Keep the ball of your foot on the edge of the block. Allowing it to come forward makes the exercise easier!