- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredDumbbell
- Force TypePush
- Experience LevelBeginner
- Secondary Muscles
Target Muscle Group
One Arm Standing Dumbbell Press Instructions
- The standing dumbbell press is one of the most popular mass builders for the shoulders! Set up for the exercise by grabbing a dumbbell and standing straight up with your feet around shoulder width apart.
- Raise the dumbbell with your left hand to shoulder height and twist your wrist so that the palm of your hand is facing forward.
- Keep your head up and eyes facing forward. This is the starting position for the exercise.
- Slowly raise the dumbbell in your left hand above your head until your arm is almost fully extended.
- Do not pause at the top of the movement, and immediately begin lowering the dumbbell back down to the starting position.
- Repeat for desired reps, and then repeat the movement with your right arm.
- The standing dumbbell press is a solid mass building compound movement that can add serious mass when using heavy weights WITH correct form. Many lifters let the form go and add weight too quickly. This will at times result in an injury and could hinder your shoulder gains.
- Always use the longest range of motion possible and control the dumbbells throughout the set.
- It is wise to work the weakest arm first. This is most often the left arm.