- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredOther
- Force TypeIsometric
- Experience LevelBeginner
- Secondary Muscles
Off Bench Oblique Hold Overview
The off bench oblique hold is a variation of the side plank and an exercise used to strengthen the obliques.
The off bench oblique hold works the oblique through static tension known as an isometric contraction.
The exercise can be performed with or without the weighted pulse.
Off Bench Oblique Hold Instructions
- Setup in a staggered stance with your bottom leg forward and hook your feet underneath a secure bench.
- Hold a plate at chest level and press horizontally to extension as you exhale.
- Return to the starting position and repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
Off Bench Oblique Hold Tips
- Ensure your hips are resting on the end of the pad for the bench.
- You can also use a GHR for this variation if you don’t have access to a normal bench with foot hold.
- Ensure the neck stays packed and doesn’t jut forward as you press the plate to extension.
- Do not let the hips rotate as you press the plate to extension. Similarly, check your setup and ensure that you’re not excessively rotated one way or another before you even move the plate.