- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredBodyweight
- Force TypeStatic
- Experience LevelBeginner
- Secondary Muscles
Target Muscle Group
Side Plank Instructions
- The side plank is a great exercise for building core strength, and more specifically oblique strength. It's also a good balance exercise. It's your choice whether to use a mat in this exercise. Start by laying on your side with one hand on the floor and your feet on top of one another.
- If you prefer, you can rest on your elbow instead of your hand.
- Lift your hips up until your body is exactly straight.
- Now hold this position for as long as possible. You should feel this exercise in your abs and obliques.
- Complete the same for the opposite side of the body.
Side Plank Tips:
- Do not let your mid-section sag. Always stay perfectly straight.
- Do the side plank in front of the mirror to ensure you keep your technique tight!
- Try to hold your plank for a full minute. Hold the plank for longer periods of time for increased intensity.