- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredMachine
- Force TypePush (Bilateral)
- Experience LevelBeginner
- Secondary Muscles
Abs, Adductors, Calves, Glutes, Hamstrings, Lower Back
Machine Hack Squat Overview
The machine hack squat is a variation of the squat and an exercise used to build the muscles of the legs. In particular, the hack squat will target the quads, hamstrings, glutes, and calves.
Squat variations are extremely important to include in your workout routines, so it is important to find the right variation for you.
Machine Hack Squat Instructions
- Load the machine with the desired weight and position your shoulders and back against the pads.
- Position your feet at shoulder width, extend your legs, and release the safety handles.
- Slowly lower the weight by bending your knees until your thighs are approximately at 90 degrees.
- Reverse the movement by driving into the platform and extending the knees and hips.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
Machine Hack Squat Tips
- To keep tension on the quads, keep the knees just shy of lockout.
- In order to emphasize the glutes more, push through the heels.
- In order to emphasize the quads more, push through the balls of the feet.
- Don’t allow the hips to posteriorly tilt and roll off the pad.
- Keep your low back flat against the pad throughout the movement.
- Ensure the head does not jut forward excessively.
- Self spotting is possible by simply applying pressure to the knees with the hands. Use only when necessary.
- Toe angle is individual and will depend upon each individual’s hip anatomy and ankle mobility - experiment and adjust based upon feel.