Calves, Glutes, Hamstrings
Feet Forward Smith Machine Squat Instructions
- Set up for the feet forward smith machine squat by setting the bar on a smith machine to around shoulder height and loading the weight you want to use.
- Stand under the bar with your legs around shoulder width apart. Grasp the bar with a wide grip and position the center of the bar on top of the muscles on your back. The bar should not sit on your neck!
- Keeping your back straight and eyes facing forwards and take the weight off the rack.
- Take a few steps forward to bring your feet out in from of you.
- Keeping your eyes facing forwards with a straight back, slowly squat down until your thighs are parallel to the floor.
- Pushing up through the heels, raise the the bar back to the starting position.
- Repeat for desired reps.
- It's crucially important that you keep a straight back when you squat! You can ensure your back is straight by keeping eyes facing forward, chest out, shoulder blades back, and back arched. Keep your core muscles tensed throughout the movement to help hold your back in place.
- Always push up through your heels. Curling up your toes can help you get the technique right.
- Using squats to their full potential requires squatting down at least until your thighs are around parallel to the floor.
- Never look down! As soon as you look down your back rounds, simple as that.