- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredDumbbell
- Force TypePush
- Experience LevelIntermediate
- Secondary Muscles
Calves, Glutes, Hamstrings
Target Muscle Group
Dumbbell Step Up Instructions
- Set up for the dumbbell step up by choosing a pair of dumbbells and holding them down at your sides.
- Stand up straight in front of a flat bench or other raised platform.
- Keep your eyes facing forward and a slight bend in your knees. This is the starting position.
- Lift your left knee and step onto the platform with your left foot.
- Once your foot is firmly planted on the platform, use your left heel to lift your body up and place your right foot on the platform as well.
- Pause briefly and then step back with your right leg and carefully return to the starting position.
- Repeat this motion for desired reps and then repeat while leading with your right foot.
- Keep your head up and back straight throughout the exercise. Never allow your back to round.
- Add intensity and difficulty by raising the platform. The higher the platform, the more intense the exercise.
- Start by using little to no weight. This exercise requires a good deal of balance and caution should be used.