- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredDumbbell
- Force TypeN/A
- Experience LevelIntermediate
- Secondary Muscles
Calves, Glutes, Hamstrings
Target Muscle Group
Dumbbell Split Jump Instructions
- Set up for the dumbbell split jump by grabbing a pair of dumbbells and standing up straight with a slight bend in your knees. You are now in the starting position.
- Step forward with your left leg while maintaining your balance and squat down through your hips.
- Keep your torso straight and head up. Don't allow your knee to track out over your toes.
- From this squatting position, push through the balls of you feet to jump a few inches from the ground.
- Immediately return to the squatting position and repeat for desired reps.
- Then repeat the movement with your right foot forward.
- Never allow your knees to track out over your toes during this movement. Doing so will place undue stress on the knee joints.
- This exercise requires a good deal of balance and is not recommended for those with balance issues. Practice the movement with little to no weight when first starting out.
- Keep your head up and back straight throughout the exercise. Never allow your back to round.
- There is no need to jump high when performing this exercise. A an inch or so off the ground will suffice. Focus on landing softly back onto your toes while lowering yourself in a controlled manner.
- Use caution when performing this exercise if you have had any previous back or knee problems. This is a high impact exercise.