Decline Bench Barbell Lunge Instructions
- Set up for the exercise by loading a barbell with an appropriate weight and standing directly in front of a decline bench. The back padding should be facing you.
- Position the bar so that it is resting on the muscles on the top of your back, not on the back of your neck. The bar should feel comfortable. If it doesn't, try adding some padding to the bar.
- Now take your hands over the back and grip the bar with a wide grip for stability. You are now in the starting position.
- Step forward with your left leg and place your foot on the center of the of the decline bench.
- While maintaining your balance squat down through your hips. Keep your torso straight and head up. Don't allow your knee to track out over your toes.
- Push yourself back up to an upright position using your heal to drive you.
- Keep your foot on then bench and repeat for desired reps.
- Center your right foot on the bench and repeat using your right leg.
- Never allow your knees to track out over your toes during this movement. Doing so will place undue stress on the knee joints.
- This exercise requires a good deal of balance and is not recommended for those with balance issues. If balance is a problem, begin with little to no weight.
- Keep your head up and back straight throughout the exercise. Never allow your back to round.