45 Degree Leg Press Calf Raise Overview
The leg press calf raise is a variation of the machine calf raise and an exercise used to build the muscles of the calves.
The calves can be a very stubborn muscle group, so it’s important to target them with plenty of different angles and a with a high training frequency.
45 Degree Leg Press Calf Raise Instructions
- Load the machine with the desired weight and take a seat.
- Sit down and position your feet on the sled with a shoulder width stance.
- Take a deep breath, extend your legs, but keep the safeties locked (if possible).
- Position your feet at the base of the platform and allow the heels to hang off.
- Lower the heels by dorsiflexing the ankles until the calves are fully stretched.
- Drive the weight back to the starting position by extending the ankles and flexing the calves.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
45 Degree Leg Press Calf Raise Tips
- SAFETY NOTE: Be extremely careful when re-positioning the feet at the base of the platform. If the safeties are not in place and you lose control of the platform, this could result in very serious injury.
- Keep the repetitions slow and controlled. Limit momentum and pause at the top to emphasize the contraction.
- If you experience any sort of pain or pressure in the back of the knee joint, keep a slight bend in the knee and avoid complete lockout.
- If the knee isn’t entirely locked out then ensure the position doesn’t change during the duration of the repetition.
- Limit depth of the heels if you feel any sort of stretch through the bottom of the foot during the exercise.
- Try to move through the ball of the foot rather than the base of the toes.