- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeOlympic Weightlifting
- Equipment RequiredKettle Bells
- Force TypePush (Unilateral)
- Experience LevelBeginner
- Secondary Muscles
Abs, Adductors, Calves, Glutes, Hamstrings, Shoulders, Traps, Triceps, Upper Back
1 KB Kettlebell Push Press Overview
The 1 KB kettlebell push press is a variation of the push press and an explosive exercise used to strengthen the muscles of the shoulders while indirectly hitting the muscles of the core, traps, and triceps.
By utilizing a little extra leg drive, as seen in the push press, you should be able to overhead press slightly more weight than you could in the traditional variation. This is an excellent exercise to train the shoulders to have more power and explosiveness.
1 KB Kettlebell Push Press Instructions
- Set up the kettlebell at chest height in the front rack position.
- Dip slightly at the knees and then explode straight up as you press the kettlebell overhead.
- Lower the bell back to the starting position and repeat for the desired number of repetitions on both sides.
1 KB Kettlebell Push Press Tips
- Olympic lifting is about efficiency, not just brute strength.
- When you dip, ensure the hips don’t shoot back too aggressively as this will cause the chest to cave forward.
- To get the kettlebell into position, one will need to likely swing it in between the legs and then clean it into position.