- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredDumbbell
- Force TypePull (Bilateral)
- Experience LevelIntermediate
- Secondary Muscles
Zottman Preacher Curl Overview
The Zottman preacher curl is a variation of the Zottman curl and an exercise used to strengthen the muscles of the biceps.
The Zottman curl utilizes different hand positioning at different portions of the lift to capitalize on the strength of the lifter and maximize arm growth. The first portion, the regular dumbbell curl, allows the lifter to focus on their bicep strength. The lowering portion, after already using a heavier weight than one would typically use in a dumbbell reverse curl, allows you to overload the forearms.
Using a preacher bench will assist in helping one isolate the biceps and also put the arm in a bit of a forward position to assist with maximum contraction.
Bicep isolation work is particularly helpful for those looking to achieve aesthetics and building a balanced physique.
Zottman Preacher Curl Instructions
- Select the desired weight from the rack, and sit in an upright position with your chest flat against the preacher bench.
- Using a supinated grip, take a deep breath and slowly lower the dumbbells away from your shoulders.
- Once the biceps are fully lengthened, rotate the forearms to a pronated position (palms down) and curl the weight back to the starting position.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
Zottman Preacher Curl Tips
- Don’t allow the elbows to shift. Similarly, make sure the shoulder doesn’t shift forward in the socket as you lower the weight.
- Maintain a slight bend in the elbow at the bottom of the movement in order to keep tension through the biceps.
- Rotate the forearms slowly, excessive velocity may cause issues within the elbows or wrists.
- Using a slow eccentric (lowering portion) of the exercise can help to improve tension and mind muscle connection.
The text disagrees with the video. Text says to raise in the pronated position.
zottmans have really helped me and ive noticed huge gains in bicep size
Hi,i am a started in gym. i want to know that which product should i take with workout. i want to gain muscle size, dont want to be that bulky buy yeah enough good to be noticeable !!