- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredDumbbell
- Force TypePush (Bilateral)
- Experience LevelBeginner
- Secondary Muscles
Target Muscle Group
Two Arm Standing Dumbbell Extension Overview
The standing dumbbell tricep extension is a variation of the tricep extension and an exercise used to isolate the muscles of the triceps.
Overhead extension exercises are particularly useful in targeting the long head of the triceps muscle. Having a larger and more dense long head will give you an overall appearance of a larger tricep.
Isolation exercises for the triceps are particularly useful for those looking to achieve aesthetics. They can also be helpful for those looking to increase their strength on other pressing motions.
Two Arm Standing Dumbbell Extension Instructions
- Select the desired weight from the rack and stand in an open area.
- To get into position, lift the dumbbell to the top of your shoulder, take a deep breath, overlap your hands around the dumbbell, then press it into position overhead.
- Maintain an overlapped grip and slowly lower the dumbbell behind your head by unlocking your elbows.
- Once your forearms reach parallel or just below, drive the dumbbell back to the starting point by extending the elbows and flexing the triceps.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
Two Arm Standing Dumbbell Extension Tips
- Don’t overextend through the lumbar spine, keep your ribcage down by maintaining tension through the abs and glutes.
- Using a slow eccentric (lowering portion) of the exercise can help to improve tension and mind muscle connection.
- Keep the head in a fairly neutral position, don’t allow the neck to jut forward as this may place excessive pressure on the cervical spine.
I want do more work out to more work out training
To work out training.......................................
Hi, is it okay if I do this exercice seated with my back against the back of my benchpress?
Sure is, Simon! If that helps you execute it properly, give it all you got!
I’m on my second week 3rd day tomorrow. I’m feeling the difference already, I’m trying hard with cardio. Difficult I hate it but I did get in 1/2 hour today. I’m so glad I found this website
Good substitute is just dips with a chair or bench.
How do you progressively over load this though?
Weighted vest or a belt with weights. Not the best or most convenient choices, I admit.
I get a slight pain in my elbow joint when I do this exercise, do you know how to stop this, or can you suggest other exercises.
Sam, I've been there. Here is what helps me. Save this one for second or third in the workout. Warm up with single cable extensions or cable kickbacks to warm up the elbow as well as the triceps. Hope this helps.
How long should my resting period be between reps and exercises
I feel slight pain on my lower back when I do this
Hey Filipe - this can happen when you're not properly bracing your core and squeezing your glutes. If the issue still continues, try this movement while sitting down.
how do you choose what dumbbell to use ? and what weights should you have to select from?
it's easy to work any time and any where