- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredBodyweight
- Force TypePull
- Experience LevelBeginner
- Secondary Muscles
Target Muscle Group
Twisting Bench Crunch Instructions
- The twisting bench crunch works both the abs and obliques. Set up for the crunch by laying a mat down on the floor and positioning a flat bench at the end of the mat to form a T shape.
- Lay down on the mat and put your legs up on the bench. Your calves should be resting on the top of the bench and your legs should be bent at a right angle.
- Touch the side of your head with your fingertips (do not put your arms behind your neck!).
- Lift your shoulder blades slightly off the mat to start the exercise, then crunch your abs bringing your right elbow up towards the left side of your waist.
- Pause for 1 second at the top, and slowly lower back down to the start position.
- Repeat for the left elbow.
- Always keep your shoulder blades off the floor throughout the set.
- Always use controlled form - it's a slow movement not a quick jerk. Jerking can result in strains and injuries.
- Pause longer at the top for added intensity.