- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredExercise Ball
- Force TypePush
- Experience LevelIntermediate
- Secondary Muscles
Target Muscle Group
Exercise Ball Dumbbell Fly Instructions
- Grasp a set of dumbbells and sit on an exercise ball with the dumbbells resting on your thighs.
- Lay back on the ball and allow it to roll under your middle-back.
- Extend your arms out, holding the dumbbells with a neutral grip (palms facing each other). The dumbbells should not be touching.
- Keep your feet planted on the floor and your core tightened for balance.
- Bend your arms slightly. This is the starting position for the exercise.
- Slowly lower the dumbbells out to your sides in a semicircle. Rotate at the shoulders only, and keep your arms slightly bent.
- Once the dumbbells get about level with your chest, squeeze the chest muscles and raise the dumbbells back up using the same path of motion (semicircle) as you did on the way down.
- Don't let the dumbbells touch, and then slowly lower them back again.
- Repeat for desired reps.
Exercise Ball Dumbbell Fly Tips
- This exercise should be done slowly, focusing on the stretch and contraction of the pectoral muscles.
- Don't pause or let the dumbbells touch at the top of the exercise.
- Use a full range of motion by lowering the dumbbells as far as comfortably possible.
- Always use a wide semicircle motion when doing this exercise. Don't let the dumbbells come too close to the body.
- Take full advantage of this exercise by tightening your core throughout. This will help with stability and give your abdominal area a good workout.