The superman is an exercise used to isolate the muscles of the lower back.
One can risk injury through over extending the spine with this exercise.
There are better ways to target your back (indirectly) to strengthen your lower back and build lean muscle mass.
- Set up in a prone position with your hands by your side (or behind your back) and your feet together.
- Extend your lower back by contracting your spinal erectors.
- Slowly lower back to the starting position and repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
- Make sure to keep some tension through your abs and glutes as you complete the movement. If you feeling a pressure or pinching sensation within one spinal vertebrae directly then you are dealing with an issue of segmental extension (usually at your thoracolumbar junction: T12-L1) versus global extension.
- This movement is fairly outdated and there are much better options given the high level of compression that is generated within the spine itself during the course of the movement.