- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredCable
- Force TypePush
- Experience LevelBeginner
- Secondary Muscles
Target Muscle Group
Standing Low Pulley Overhead Tricep Extension (Rope Extension) Instructions
- Set up for the exercise by attaching a rope to the low pulley of a pulley cable machine and selecting the weight you want to use on the stack.
- Facing away from the pulley, grab the rope behind your neck with a neutral grip (palms facing in) keeping your hands close together as stand straight up with a slight bend in your knees. This will lift the weight slightly from the stack.
- Keep your feet around shoulder width apart. Your forearms arms should be parallel to the floor at this point and your elbows should be pointed at the ceiling.
- You should be grasping the rope behind your head. You are now in the starting position.
- Moving only at your elbow joints slowly push the rope straight up until your arms are fully extended. As you push, spread the rope out until your hands are around shoulder width apart at the peak of the movement.
- Pause, and then slowly bring the rope back to the starting position allowing your hands to reunite.
- Repeat this movement for desired reps.
Standing Low Pulley Overhead Tricep Extension (Rope Extension) Tips
- Focus on moving the weight with your triceps, keeping control of the weight as you slowly lower the weight stack back to the starting position.
- Keep your body as still as possible, moving only your forearms.
- Keep your head up and look straight ahead throughout the movement.