- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredDumbbell
- Force TypePull
- Experience LevelBeginner
- Secondary Muscles
Target Muscle Group
Standing Hammer Curl Instructions
- The hammer curl is a great exercise for the biceps and forearms. Set up by grasping a set of dumbbells and standing straight up with the dumbbells by your sides.
- You should be using a neutral grip, meaning your palms are facing your body.
- Bend your arms slightly to take tension into the biceps.
- Keeping your body fixed and elbows in at your sides, slowly curl the dumbbells up as far as possible.
- Squeeze the biceps at the top of the movement, and then slowly lower the weight back to the starting position.
- Repeat for desired reps.
Hammer Curl Tips:
- Do not lean back as you move the weight - this is cheating!
- Keep your elbows locked in by your sides throughout the set. Don't allow them to come forward as you curl the weight up. Focus on only allowing your forearms to move.
- Squeeze and hold at the top of the movement for maximum results.
- Keep the rep timing slow and control the weight for the whole set.