Side Lying Clam with Band Overview
The side lying clam with resistance band is a variation of the side lying clam and an exercise used to isolate the glutes.
The side lying clam with resistance band is a popular choice among those looking to activate their glutes as a warm up prior to their main compound lift.
Resistance bands, as used during the side lying clam with resistance band, provide accommodating resistance. This means the exercise becomes more challenging the close you get to a full contraction.
Side Lying Clam with Band Instructions
- Wrap a mini band around your knees just above your patella (knee cap).
- Set up in a side lying position with your knees bent and your bottom arm under your head for support.
- Keep the heels together but raise the top knee by activating the glute.
- Slowly lower back to the starting position and repeat for the desired number of repetitions before switching sides.
Side Lying Clam with Band Tips
- Only progress to the banded version once you have mastered the regular clamshell version with just bodyweight.
- Shift the top knee forward slightly before raising it upward. This will help to enhance activation of the glute medius on the top leg.
- Watch that the lower back isn’t arched before completing repetitions, this will affect your ability to fully activate the glutes.
- Exhale as you lift the knee to keep the spine neutral and enhance abdominal activation.