Side Lying Clam Overview
The side lying clam is an exercise used to isolate the glutes.
The side lying clam is a popular choice among those looking to activate their glutes as a warm up prior to their main compound lift.
Side Lying Clam Instructions
- Set up in a side lying position with your knees bent and your bottom arm under your head for support.
- Keep the heels together but raise the top knee by activating the glute.
- Slowly lower back to the starting position and repeat for the desired number of repetitions before switching sides.
Side Lying Clam Tips
- Shift the top knee forward slightly before raising it upward. This will help to enhance activation of the glute medius on the top leg.
- Watch that the lower back isn’t arched before completing repetitions, this will affect your ability to fully activate the glutes.
- Exhale as you lift the knee to keep the spine neutral and enhance abdominal activation.