Traps, Upper Back
Serrano Press Overview
The Serrano press is a variation of the dumbbell press and an exercise used to strengthen the muscles of the shoulder.
The Serrano press combines a high row and an external rotation with the overhead press. It is a very effective movement one can use to strengthen the rear delts and rotator cuffs.
Serrano Press Instructions
- Assume a prone position on an incline bench with your chin tucked and arms straight.
- Reach down, inhale, and grab the dumbbells. Externally rotate at the shoulders and ensure the hands are facing forward.
- Take a deep breath and press the dumbbells overhead by extending the elbows and contracting the deltoids.
- Slowly lower the dumbbells back to the starting position (the arms should be roughly 90 degrees or slightly lower depending upon limb lengths).
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
Serrano Press Tips
- Focus on keeping the wrist in line with the elbow as you press.
- Don’t allow the head to jut forward excessively.
- Drive the bicep to the ear and exhale as you press.
- Keeping the elbows slightly bent at the top and not locking out entirely will help to keep tension on the shoulders.
- If you can’t lock out the elbows overhead then it may indicate a lack of shoulder mobility due to poor scapular upward rotation.