- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredBarbell
- Force TypePull
- Experience LevelIntermediate
- Secondary Muscles
Target Muscle Group
Seated High Barbell Front Raise Instructions
- Set up for the high barbell front raise by loading a straight bar or EZ bar with the weight you want to use.
- Grasp the bar with an overhand grip (palms facing down) with your hands around shoulder width apart. Sit down on the end of a flat bench and let the barbell rest on your thighs.
- Straighten your back, tense your mid section and pull your shoulders back, taking the weight off your thighs and holding it about 4 inches above your thighs. This is the starting position for the exercise.
- Keeping your arms straight slowly raise the barbell up until it is almost straight above your head.
- Pause, and then slowly lower the barbell back to the starting position.
- Repeat for desired reps.
- This is an isolation exercise so it's important that you focus on strict technique to isolate the front deltoids.
- Don't let the barbell touch your body during the set.
- Keep the rep timing slow, and lower the weight slowly.
- And finally, keep your mid section tight and your back straight. Don't swing to assist moving the weight up.