- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredBarbell
- Force TypePull
- Experience LevelBeginner
- Secondary Muscles
Target Muscle Group
Seated Barbell Curl Instructions
- Set up for the seated barbell curl by getting a flat bench, selecting a barbell or EZ bar, and placing it at one end of the bench.
- Grasp the barbell and sit down on the bench. Place the barbell on your thighs.
- Your back should be straight, shoulders back, and knees and feet together.
- Grasp the barbell around shoulder-width apart using an underhand grip.
- Keeping your elbows locked in at your sides, lift the barbell off your thighs slightly. This is the starting position for the exercise.
- Bending at the elbows, slowly curl the weight up as far as possible.
- Squeeze the biceps, and then slowly lower the weight back to the starting position.
- Do not let the weight touch your thighs, and then repeat.
Seated Barbell Curl Tips
- Your elbows must remain at your sides throughout the set and only your forearms should be moving.
- Keep the movement slow and controlled. Do not "swing" the weight.
- Keep your back straight and fixed, and don't bend your back when curling the weight up.