- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredBarbell
- Force TypePush
- Experience LevelIntermediate
- Secondary Muscles
Target Muscle Group
Reverse Grip Skull Crusher Instructions
- Sit on the end of a flat bench with a barbell on your thighs.
- Grip the barbell with an underhand grip (palms facing up) with your hands about shoulder width apart.
- Bring the bar up to your chest and lay down on your back.
- Extend your arms straight up above your chest.
- Keeping your elbows fixed in place and not pointing out, slowly lower the bar until it is about an inch from your forehead (hence the name skullcrusher!).
- Pause, and then slowly extend your arms back to the starting position.
- Do not lock your elbows out, and then repeat for desired reps.
Reverse Grip Skull Crusher Tips
- This exercise is best when using an EZ bar because it's much easier on the wrists when using a reverse grip.
- Keep your elbows in throughout the set and don't allow them to move forward or back as your raise the weight.
- Keep your rep timing slow and control the weight on the way down.