- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredBarbell
- Force TypePush
- Experience LevelIntermediate
- Secondary Muscles
Target Muscle Group
Reverse Grip Seated French Press Instructions
- Set up for the reverse grip seated french press by loading a barbell or EZ-bar with the appropriate amount of weight and placing it in front of a 90-degree angle bench.
- Sit with your back flat against the bench with your feet flat on the floor and the barbell resting on your thighs.
- Grasp the barbell with an underhand grip (palms facing up) with your hands about 8-12 inches apart.
- Lift the bar above your head and bend at your elbows slightly to take the tension onto your triceps. This is the starting position for the exercise.
- Keeping your elbows fixed and pointing straight up toward the ceiling, slowly lower the bar down behind your head as far as comfortably possible.
- Pause, and then slowly raise the bar back to the starting position.
- Don't lock your elbows out, and then repeat the movement.
Reverse Grip Seated French Press Tips
- Technique is really important! Don't let your elbows flare out as you move the barbell, and keep the rep timing slow and controlled.
- Don't lock your elbows out at the top of the movement.
- Focus on keeping your body as still as possible, moving only your forearms.