- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredCable
- Force TypePush
- Experience LevelBeginner
- Secondary Muscles
Target Muscle Group
Reverse Grip One-Arm Overhead Cable Tricep Extension Instructions
- Set up for the reverse grip one-arm overhead tricep extension by attaching a single grip handle to the low pulley cable and selecting the weight you want to use on the stack.
- Grasp the handle with your left hand, raise your left arm above your head, and turn away from the machine.
- Your palm should be facing backward, towards the cable machine. This is the starting position for the exercise.
- Keeping your body fixed and bending at the elbow only, slowly lower the weight back behind your body.
- Pause, and then raise the weight, squeezing the tricep at the top of the movement.
- Do not lock your elbow out, and then lower weight and repeat.
- Repeat reps for your right arm.
Reverse Grip One-Arm Overhead Cable Tricep Extension Tips
- Always work your weakest tricep first. In most cases, this will be the left.
- Keep the rep timing slow and control the weight. Don't allow the weight to control you on the way down.
- Don't lock your elbows out at the top of the movement as this takes the tension off your tricep.
- Focus on only allowing your forearm to move, keeping your upper arm as still as possible.