Reverse Grip Bench Press Instructions
- Set up for the reverse bench press by setting the weight of the bar rack (if it's adjustable) and adding the weight plates you want to use.
- Lay down on your back with your feet firmly planted on the floor. Grasp the bar with an underhand grip (palms facing your head) with your hands at wider than shoulder width.
- Take the bar off the rack. Slowly lower the bar straight down to the middle of your chest. Don't let the bar touch your chest!
- Pause, then slowly raise the bar back up. Do not lock your elbows out or rest at the top and go straight back into your next rep.
- Repeat this process for your desire reps.
Reverse Grip Bench Press Tips:
- The reverse grip bench press is a variation of the barbell bench press. Rep timing should slow enough that you control the weight on the way down. Letting the weight drop really quickly is not productive becuase the muscles do not have to work as hard on the negative phase of the movement. This makes the exercise less effective.
- Keep your feet firmly planted on the floor. Your feet provide the stabilization for the lift, if you hold them up or flap them around you're move likely to lose balance.
- Make sure you lower the bar straight down to your middle chest and push it straight up. Don't deviate from this range of motion.
- Your glutes and shoulder blades should be touching the bench at all times throughout the set. It's OK to arch the back as long as the glutes and shoulder blades are fixed.
- Never "bounce" the weight off of your chest.