- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredBarbell
- Force TypePush
- Experience LevelIntermediate
- Secondary Muscles
Target Muscle Group
Reverse Grip Bench Press Instructions
- Set up for the reverse grip bench press by setting the height of the bench rack (if it's adjustable) and adding the weight plates you want to use.
- Lay down on your back with your feet firmly planted on the floor. Grasp the bar with an underhand grip (palms facing your head) with your hands wider than shoulder width.
- Take the bar off the rack. Slowly lower the bar straight down to the middle of your chest, but don't let the bar touch your chest.
- Pause, then slowly raise the bar back up. Do not lock your elbows out or rest at the top and go straight back into your next rep.
- Repeat this process for your desired reps.
Reverse Grip Bench Press Tips
- The reverse grip bench press is a variation of the barbell bench press. Rep timing should be slow enough that you control the weight on the way down. Letting the weight drop really quickly is not productive because the muscles do not have to work as hard on the negative phase of the movement. This makes the exercise less effective.
- Keep your feet firmly planted on the floor. Your feet provide the stabilization for the lift, if you hold them up or move them around you're more likely to lose balance.
- Make sure you lower the bar straight down to your middle chest and push it straight up. Don't deviate from this range of motion.
- Your glutes and shoulder blades should be touching the bench at all times throughout the set. It's OK to arch the back as long as the glutes and shoulder blades are fixed.
- Never "bounce" the weight off of your chest.
Hi im 14 and Ive been working out since i was 13 and i workout monday (back)
Tuesday (shoulders) wednesday (chest) and thursday i rest and then the next day i repeat my schedule again, but the most focused part of my body that i have been trying gain has always been my chest and i have always worked on it , ive always done push ups and alot of chest workout with weights there is possible and i just keep putting alot of work to it until this day now and i still dont see any prgress , i weight 125lbs and when im in the gym with friends they compliment me becuz i have big arms and back and shoulders and forearms but then dont compliment me on my chest but i have NEVER done proteins of any kind or have NEVER drunk something that has to do with muscle and nutriotion in it because my parents have never letme do nun of that , can someone pliz help me ?
Hi,I am from Iran.I am a boy of 21 ,but nipples are triangular and pointed.Which exercise that I can follow to improve my chest?please help me.
Been doing the full body dumbbell routine that works chest every other day. That means one day of rest between chest exercises. Is this a sufficient rest period?
i want to bueld my chest mucles faster....i am doing chest exercise every day.but my chest mucleses decreese day to day....what i do for best chest mucleses?
Simple, your overworking your chest muscles. In order to build muscle you need both the appropriate level of taxing exercises and also the necessary amount of rest so that the muscle can repair itself. You working out chest everyday is taking away the resting phase which is very critical.
Also give your body time. It takes hard work and the right steps to achieve the results we all want so don't rush it. Just focus on doing the exercises right, getting enough lean protein, getting enough rest for both you and your muscles. If you do this with a solid chest workout your gains will be visible.
Man, I was doing the same thing a few years ago. Well, I wasn't working out everyday, but I was working out 3 times a week, about 12 sets of the same exercise. How dumb was I?? Try this. Just do 3 sets of 3 different exercises, about 10 reps(for working out your chest, I'd probably do Bench Presses, Flys, and Push Ups. Three sets of each of those.) Do that twice a week (Mon + Thurs) and you'll see results. Keep in mind, REST is what builds muscle.
Train your chest once every 3 days your not giving it time to heal and grow
It's my first time to see this reverse grip bench press exercise. I'll try this one. Thank s guys.