- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredDumbbell
- Force TypePush
- Experience LevelBeginner
- Secondary Muscles
Target Muscle Group
Reverse Dumbbell Bench Press Instructions
- The reverse grip is the same as the dumbbell bench press except you use a reverse grip. Set up for the exercise by grasping a set of dumbbells and sitting on the end of a flat bench with the ends of the dumbbells resting on your knees.
- Slowly lay back on the bench and push the dumbbells straight up above your chest.
- Twist the dumbbells so that your palms are facing your shoulders. This is the starting position for the exercise.
- Slowly lower the dumbbells down keeping your palms in line with your middle chest.
- When the handles get to around chest height, pause and raise the dumbbells back to the starting position.
- Repeat movement for desired reps.
Dumbbell Bench Press Tips:
- If you're using heavy weights you can use your thighs to push the dumbbells back as you roll back on the flat bench.
- Don't let the dumbbells touch at the top of each rep.
- Keep the rep timing slow, lowering the dumbbells at a slower pace than raising them.
- Use a full range of motion - lower the dumbbells all the way down!