Abs, Shoulders, Triceps
Plyometric Clapping Push Up Overview
The plyometric clapping push up is an advanced variation of the push up that trains the pushing muscles (chest, shoulders, triceps) in an explosive fashion.
When performing the plyometric clapping push up, some might find it beneficial to leave the “clapping” portion out of the exercise. Doing so promotes wrist health and eliminates the risk of not “catching” yourself after your palms leave the ground.
Plyometric Clapping Push Up Instructions
- Assume a quadruped position on the floor with your hands under your shoulders, toes tucked, and knees under hips.
- Extend one leg at a time and assume a push up position with the legs straight, elbows extended, and head in a neutral position looking at the floor.
- Slowly descend to the floor by retracting the shoulder blades and unlocking the elbows.
- Descend until the upper arms are parallel or your chest touches the floor.
- Push back forcefully to the starting point by dynamically extending the elbows and driving your palms into the floor. When the hands leave the floor, quickly bring them together and clap before returning them to the starting position..
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
Plyometric Clapping Push Up Tips
- Your arms should resemble an arrow in the bottom position, not a “T”.
- Your spine should remain rigid throughout the entire exercise, think of the pushup as a moving plank.
- Squeeze your glutes and brace your abs before descending to keep the ribcage neutral.
- Keep the chin down and don’t look forward.
- Imagine you’re trying to push your thumbs together while completing the movement, this will improve activation of the pecs.
- Don’t allow the head to jut forward, the chest should touch at the same time as your nose.
Think about trying to push yourself as far away from the floor as possible.
- Ensure you push all the way through the floor at the top of the repetition and allow your shoulder blades to move around your ribcage.
- Most folks cut the repetition short and don’t garner the full benefits as such.