- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredDumbbell
- Force TypePull
- Experience LevelIntermediate
- Secondary Muscles
Target Muscle Group
One Arm Seated Bent Over Dumbbell Reverse Fly Instructions
- Set up for the exercise by grasping a dumbbell with your left hand using a neutral grip (palm facing in) and sitting on the edge of a flat bench with your feet close together.
- Bring your torso forward by bending at the waist. Keep your head up and your eyes facing forward.
- Your left elbow should be slightly bent and the dumbbell should be hanging under your thighs. You can place your non-working forearm across your knee for stability. This is the starting position.
- Moving only at the shoulder, raise your left arm in a semi-circular motion out to your side until your arm is parallel to the floor. Keep the slight bend in your elbow throughout the movement.
- Squeeze your shoulder blades at the height of the movement and then begin slowly lowering the dumbbell back to the starting position using the same path you used to raise it.
- Repeat for desired reps and then repeat the movement with your right arm.
- Practice good form with a light weight.
- Squeeze your shoulder blades and pause for a moment at the top of the movement.
- Do not let the dumbbells "hang" at the bottom of the movement, but keep the tension in your arms.
- Focus on moving only at the shoulder. The rest of your body should be kept as still as possible and your arms should hold the same form throughout the movement.