- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredKettle Bells
- Force TypePush (Unilateral)
- Experience LevelBeginner
- Secondary Muscles
Target Muscle Group
One Arm Kettlebell Z Press Overview
The one arm kettlebell Z press is a variation of the Z press and an exercise used to strengthen the muscles of the shoulder.
The Z press in general takes the lower leg drive out of the movement, thus emphasizing the push through the shoulder to build shoulder muscle.
Unilateral exercises, such as the one arm kettlebell Z press, allow you to work each side of the body individually to build balanced strength and an aesthetic physique.
One Arm Kettlebell Z Press Instructions
- Assume a seated position on the floor with your legs straight ahead and slightly open.
- Grasp a kettlebell with a neutral grip and curl it into a front racked position.
- Press the bell overhead until the shoulder reaches full flexion and the elbow is locked out.
- Slowly lower the kettlebell back to the starting position and repeat for the assigned number of repetitions.
One Arm Kettlebell Z Press Tips
- Don’t allow the head to jut forward excessively.
- Drive the bicep to the ear and exhale as you press.
- If you sense any pressure in your neck or traps during the movement, look to address a lack of thoracic spine extension or shoulder flexion.
- Keeping the elbows slightly bent at the top and not locking out entirely will help to keep tension on the shoulders.
- If you can’t lock out the elbows overhead than it may indicate a lack of shoulder mobility due to poor scapular upward rotation.